Celebrate 20 years of trails with Missy Kane!
Click here to learn about the history of East Tennessee’s most popular hiking program.
You are never too old to go exploring or never too far away from a trail to explore if you live in or near Knoxville, Tennessee. Hiking is the best way to experience our beautiful parks.
This hiking series is a fun way to improve your fitness while helping fund park projects and programs supported by Friends of the Great Smoky Mountain National Parks. Since its inception in 1998, Get on the Trail has raised more than $160,000 through the generous support of the participants and our sponsors.
Many thanks to our partners:
Cabins of the Smoky Mountains
East Tennessee PBS
Farm Bureau Insurance
Home Federal Bank
LeConte Medical Center
Uncle Lem’s Mountain Outfitters
Space is limited!
You must pre-register by calling (865) 541-4500.
We normally have a waiting list so please be courteous and call to cancel if you cannot make a hike.
Send your money in to secure your spot.
The cost for each hike is $20.00/person with the proceeds going to Friends of the Smokies.
Make payment to:
Friends of the Smokies
P.O. Box 1660
Kodak, TN 37764
For additional information, contact Sarah Weeks at Friends of the Smokies, 865-932-4794 or sarah@friendsof the smokies.org.
Tips and Reminders:
- Always start with a healthy breakfast!
- Wear light, loose-fitting clothing. Long pants and long-sleeved shirts can be helpful for those who are prone to bug bites or allergic to poison ivy.
- Bring water, a hearty snack, sunscreen, insect repellent and hiking poles if you need them.
- Hikers should be in condition to hike 3-4 miles of trail. To prepare you should be exercising regularly, including walking on trails for balance. A 5-mile hike in the mountains is like a 6-7 mile walk on flat roads.
- Get more tips on fitness and safety during the summer by clicking here.