Emergency Care Services at Parkwest Medical Center
Easily access the top-quality emergency care services you need.
In the Event of an Emergency, Trust Your Care to Parkwest Medical Center
When you or someone you love needs emergency medical attention and care, you can turn to the caring professionals at Parkwest Medical Center in Knoxville to deliver the top-quality emergency care services you need. If you are experiencing a medical emergency please call 911!
When Should I Call 911?
The American College of Emergency Physicians guidelines state that you should call 911 if you answer “yes” to at least one of the following questions:
- Is the situation life-threatening?
- Could the situation worsen and become life-threatening during a drive to the ED?
- Do you need special equipment or skills to move the patient?
- Could traffic or distance cause a delay in getting to the ED, creating a life-threatening situation?
If a medical condition arises suddenly and you believe that immediate medical care is needed, you should go to the ED. Examples include:
- Signs of heart attack (including but not limited to):
- chest pain
- pain traveling into the neck, into the jaw, through the back or down one or both arms
- sweating or
- difficulty breathing
- Signs of stroke: BE FAST!
We know a visit to the Emergency Department can be an upsetting and possibly scary experience for you and your loved ones. The Emergency Care Center at Parkwest Medical Center has 39 rooms, equipped with the latest technology and monitoring to provide the very best care for you.
We want you to know that we’ve taken the following steps to help decrease your waiting time:
- We’ve dedicated a separate area to treating and discharging patients with less severe injuries and illnesses so you can get home sooner.
- We have increased our efficiency to reduce the time you spend waiting for diagnostic results.
- We have scheduled an emergency provider designated to be in the triage area so you can start receiving treatment more quickly.
Thank you for trusting us to help you when you need emergency care. We are ready to help and get you back home sooner without compromising excellent care.
In addition, we have highly-skilled staff, all of whom are committed to providing you with the highest quality of care possible.
What Determines Who Goes Back First?
Upon entering our Emergency Care Center, you go through a process called “triage.” A Registered Nurse RN will assess your symptoms and check your vital signs to determine the severity of your condition.
The ED does not function on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Those patients who are classified as critically ill will be taken back and seen by a physician faster than patients with less acute conditions.
Patients experiencing less acute illness and/or minor injuries may be treated by an APC, and not require physician intervention. This ensures better outcomes and less wait time for all patients.
Emergency Services Offerings and Protocols
Virtual Urgent Care Services Offered through Parkwest Medical Center
As part of our mission to provide easy-to-access emergency care services to the people of Eastern Tennessee, Parkwest Medical Center is pleased to offer you virtual urgent care services.
Our virtual urgent care services are available 24/7, and are ideal for those in need of convenient, quality care for non-emergency ailments.
Our virtual care services are ideally suited for individuals experienced non-emergent medical issues such as:
- Cough and congestion
- Allergies and sinus infections
- Eye and ear problems
- Minor injuries and pain
- Additional non-emergency conditions
Parkwest Medical Center
- Emergency Room