A History of Methodist Medical Center
Methodist Medical Center first opened as an Army hospital in 1943 when Oak Ridge was still America’s “Secret City.”
Methodist Medical Center first opened as an Army hospital in 1943 when Oak Ridge was still America’s “Secret City.” Now 80 years later, the hospital is an Advanced Primary Stroke Center and provides more than 30 medical specialties ranging from cardiology and orthopedics to oncology and wound care.
Methodist is a 283-bed facility which employs approximately 1,000 people and serves more than 200,000 citizens in Anderson, Roane, Morgan, Campbell and Scott counties. The medical center is part of Covenant Health, the region’s top-performing healthcare network with 10 hospitals, outpatient and specialty services, and Covenant Medical Group, the area’s fastest-growing physician practice division.
Headquartered in Knoxville, Covenant Health is a community-owned integrated healthcare delivery system and the area’s largest employer. The system’s more than 11,000 employees, volunteers, and 1,500 affiliated physicians are dedicated to improving the quality of life for the more than two million patients and families served every year. Covenant Health is the only healthcare system in East Tennessee to be named a Forbes “Best Employer” eight times.
Methodist Medical Center At-A-Glance
- 283 licensed beds
- 25 ICU beds
- 12 intermediate care beds
- 38 emergency beds
- 13 surgery suites
- 2 cath labs
- 1 electrophysiology lab
- 8 LDRP suites
Our Pledge of Excellence
Covenant Health employees are unified by one covenant: to put our patients first, strive for excellence in everything we do, and make Covenant Health the first choice for patients in our region.