Digital Mammography Services
The Importance of Mammograms
Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women in the U.S. It is second only to skin cancer.
Fortunately, deaths caused by breast cancer have declined over the past 20 years. Many experts believe this is, in part, a result of improved screening and treatment techniques. Mammograms are the preferred diagnostic test to find breast cancer in its early stages. They do this by using X-rays to scan the breasts for cancer.
For many years, the only option was mammograms that recorded images of the breast on film. Now, digital mammograms are available. Digital mammograms store and analyze the information using a computer.
Advantages of Digital Mammography
Digital mammography is a technique for recording X-ray images in computer code instead of on X-ray film, as with conventional mammography. From the patient’s perspective, positioning for a digital mammogram is the same as for conventional mammography.
Digital mammography has some important advantages over conventional mammography:
- A digital mammogram takes less time to perform and typically involves a lower radiation dose to the patient.
- It also gives technicians the ability to optimize the image, very similar to the way you optimize a digital photograph.
- Images can also be manipulated, which means the radiologist can magnify or zoom in on an area.
- Because the images can be adjusted by the radiologist, subtle differences between tissues may be noted.
- Images are stored electronically so there is less chance of images being lost.
- In addition, images can be interpreted remotely, so second-opinion interpretations and long-distance consultations may become easier.
- Digital mammography is better at detecting cancers. Recent studies indicate a higher cancer detection rate with digital mammography in certain patients, including those with dense breasts, those under 50 years old, and those who are pre- or peri-menopausal.
- The improved accuracy of digital mammography may reduce the number of follow-up procedures.
Cumberland Medical Center is proud to offer you these significant benefits from digital mammography to help better protect your health. Schedule your mammogram today by calling 931-459-7040.