Volunteer Services at LeConte Medical Center
The volunteers at LeConte Medical Center play an important role in our day to day operations. By helping patients navigate the hospital, providing information at our front desk, and assisting on the floors, volunteers are able to offer an elevated level of support to the doctors and hospital staff.
There are over 100 hospital volunteers currently serving between both LeConte Medical Center and Thompson Cancer Survival Center-Sevier. While both locations are accepting volunteers, LeConte Medical Center offers volunteer opportunities for both adults and teenagers.
While our volunteers are giving, we want to give back. In addition to the satisfaction of service, volunteers can look forward to the following benefits:
- A free meal for every day worked (4-hour shift in a day)
- Free annual flu shot
- 10% gift shop discount, 20% thrift shop discount
- Annual celebrations
- Scholarship opportunities
Adult Volunteer Requirements
We are always looking for new volunteers to offer their time and support the hospital. In order to apply to volunteer, you’ll need to complete our online application and be over the age of 18. (If you’re younger than 18, apply to our Junior Volunteer Program!) There are a few requirements to maintain your volunteer status:
- Commitment of four hours a week or more for at least one year of service
- Customer-service oriented attitude
- Successful background check
- Completion of orientation program (1/2 day orientation videos)
- Annual education refresher (1/2 day once a year)
Junior Volunteer Requirements
For our younger volunteers, LeConte Medical Center accepts teens into their Junior Volunteer Program. The volunteer program runs during the summer months, catering to students on break from school. To apply for the Junior Volunteer Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- 14 – 17 years of age by May 1, 2024
- Complete both the online AND paper application and return by March 31, 2024
- Maintain a C+ average in school
- Attend a mandatory orientation
- Commit to 6 weeks of service during the summer (minimum)
- Commit to 4 hours of service each week (minimum)
Where Volunteers Work at LeConte Medical Center
There are volunteer opportunities all around the hospital! We work to find the right fit for each of our volunteers. Below you’ll find some of our highest need locations as well as other options.
Areas of Highest Need:
- Gift Shop: The gift shop is located inside LeConte Medical Center. Volunteers are needed to assist customers with making purchases. The shop is open Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. This position requires walking, lifting and reaching.
- Outpatient Surgery Desk: Volunteers are needed to work at the reception desk in the outpatient surgery lounge, assisting patients and family members throughout their surgical experience. Tasks include answering phones, escorting patients, and giving directions. This position requires walking.
- Information Desk: We need volunteers to assist guests at the information desk with directions, patient information, etc. This position will also escort guests to destinations throughout the facility. It requires walking and working with computers.
- ICU/Step Down Unit Information Desk: Volunteers are needed to assist guests with directions to patient rooms and inform them about visiting times.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Registration Desk: This position requires working with our registration staff to input patient information into our computer system. You must be comfortable working with computers and have great people skills.
- Fundraising events: Volunteers are needed to work with local vendors to organize on-site fundraising events, such as gift shop sales, to benefit the volunteers. This position also includes working on annual fundraisers such as bake sales and uniform sales.
- Facility Support Services (Engineering Dept): In this position, you will assist department employees with completion of facility work orders.
- And more! New opportunities are available on a regular basis.
The Pink Ladies/Auxiliary formed in 1966 (originally serving at Sevier County Hospital). The volunteer gift shop opened in 1985. In the 2000s, our volunteers became a department of LeConte Medical Center and no longer serve as an auxiliary model.
Research demonstrates that volunteering leads to better health. Come volunteer with us!
Monday – Friday
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.