About Thompson Cancer Survival Center
Thompson Cancer Survival Center (TCSC) was founded to bring world-class cancer care to East Tennessee.
Thompson Cancer Survival Center (TCSC) was founded to bring world-class cancer care to East Tennessee. At Thompson, leading cancer specialists use the most advanced technologies to achieve breakthrough successes in treating many types of cancer. Our doctors have the support of a complete team: Dieticians, genetics counselors, physicists, pharmacists, therapists, technologists, oncology nurses, social workers and others are all there to treat – and beat – the disease.
Therapies pioneered at Thompson have transformed and saved the lives of hundreds of East Tennessee cancer patients while progressive clinical trials have brought the most advanced new cancer medicines to this area. In addition to the original downtown location, there are TCSC facilities in West Knoxville, Oak Ridge and Sevierville.
As the leader in comprehensive cancer care in East Tennessee, Thompson Cancer Survival Center’s innovations include:
- A Comprehensive Breast Center designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). The center is accredited in digital mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy, breast ultrasound, and ultrasound-guided breast biopsy.
- Multidisciplinary Breast and Chest Cancer Clinics offer patients the option of a personal consultation with a team of specialists in a single office visit. These clinics enable physicians to develop an individualized treatment plan that provides seamless care from initial diagnosis through follow-up.
- A Team of Radiation Oncology Physicists dedicated to developing specialized treatment plans for patients. TCSC is the world’s first designated training site for respiratory gating, the most advanced treatment for lung cancer. Thompson is also the only facility in the region to offer TomoTherapy, a radiation treatment that uses digital technology to deliver a precise beam of intensity-modulated radiation therapy.
- Medical Oncology/Chemotherapy – Thompson Oncology Group (TOG) provides the most advanced medical oncology treatment available. TOG physicians have offices in Knox, Anderson, Roane, Blount, Loudon, Sevier, and Hamblen counties.
- Center of Excellence for Treatment of Barrett’s Esophagus – The Fort Sanders Regional Laser Center located at TCSC is world-renowned for pioneering photodynamic therapy for the treatment of Barrett’s Esophagus. It hosts training programs for physicians from some of the nation’s most prestigious cancer centers.
- Cancer Outreach Services provides thousands of free or low-cost mammograms, cervical cancer screenings, prostate cancer screenings and cancer education services to medically under-served groups in Knox and 18 other counties throughout East Tennessee.
- PET Imaging Centers – TCSC’s West, Sevier and Downtown PET Imaging Centers are accredited in positron emission tomography by the American College of Radiology (ACR). This accreditation assures patients that their treatment meets the most rigid standards of excellence mandated by the ACR.
- Clinical Trials – The progressive Clinical Trials program at TCSC has registered nurses certified in clinical trials and oncology who work with physicians to identify patients who may benefit from clinical trials. These specialists counsel patients regarding treatment plans and oversee the follow-up of their care. For more information about Thompson Cancer Survival Center, call 865-331-1678.