More than half a million women in the U.S. undergo hysterectomies in a year. Studies have shown that up to 40% of hysterectomies may be performed unnecessarily. At Fort Sanders Women’s Specialists, you have alternatives available, and our physicians are prepared to advise you of all possible options. We believe a hysterectomy is a last resort, and we can perform alternative hysterectomy procedures in our office.
In addition to drug or hormone replacement therapies, there are many types of minimally-invasive alternatives to a total hysterectomy:
- Myomectomy – outpatient procedure where fibroids are removed, leaving most of the uterus untouched. This controls symptoms in about 80% of women.
- Endometrial ablation – one-time procedure to remove excess uterine lining.
- Uterine embolization – blood supply to a tumor is purposely blocked.
Hormonal and drug therapies are viable options for some women, including:
- Oral contraceptives
- NSAIDs and other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Progestins and various hormone combinations
- IUD placement
If your doctor has recommended a hysterectomy for any reason, we strongly suggest that you seek a second opinion. Ask questions and decide for yourself based on other available options and how the problems are affecting your lifestyle.