About the coach
Missy Kane is fitness promotion coordinator for Covenant Health, and her passion is helping others take steps toward a healthy lifestyle, whether they’re longtime athletes or have been sedentary for years. Missy is a former collegiate track and field coach, an Olympic athlete, a Pan American Games medalist, and a member of the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame, the Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame, and the Knoxville Track Club Hall of Fame. This is her 17th time coaching a team for the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon. To learn more about Coach Missy Kane and ways to have a fit and fun lifestyle, visit her web page.
Coach Kane is joined by Fort Sanders Health and Fitness Center trainer Chris O’Hearn. Chris is a highly respected personal trainer and life coach who helps our team members strengthen mind, body and spirit for a successful finish.
Did you know?
- In 2019, Covenant Health’s marathon team was made up of U.S. Military Veterans
- The first marathon team (2005) included then-mayor Bill Haslam, who later went on to become the governor of Tennessee
- Starting in 2011 and for several years after, the team became a “Biggest Winner” weight loss challenge, helping team members loose a combined total of about a thousand pounds
- Team members have trained in temperatures as low as 17 degrees F
- In 2020 the marathon team was disbanded due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The members of the 2021 Covenant Health Marathon Team represent a dozen teams from past years
The 2021 Covenant Health Marathon Team
Lee Ann Bowman, WBIR