Covenant Health offers low-dose CT scans as a diagnostic screening for lung cancer. Low-dose CT scans use lower amounts of radiation than standard chest CT imaging and creates detailed images of your chest and lungs to help detect cancer. We offer low-dose CT scans for lung cancer at the following hospitals:
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center
- LeConte Medical Center
- Methodist Medical Center
- Morristown-Hamblen Healthcare System
Low-dose CT scans are recommended for individuals who:
- Are between the ages of 55-75 and have smoked one pack of cigarettes a day for 30 years;
- Have past cancers of emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis, or a family history of lung cancer; and,
- Have been exposed to substances such as asbestos, beryllium, chromium, diesel fumes, nickel, silica, and arsenic.
- Your physician must write an order for you to be screened.
What to Expect
- The screening is painless and takes about ten seconds.
- This procedure is non-invasive and requires no medication.
- You will lie still on a table as it passes through the center of the CT Scanner.
- You may be asked to hold your breath one or more times during the scan.
- You can eat and drink as normal before and after the exam.
1901 Clinch Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37916
742 Middle Creek Road
Sevierville, TN 37862
990 Oak Ridge Turnpike
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
908 W 4th N Street
Morristown, TN 37814
Some of the risk factors for lung cancer include smoking tobacco, breathing in secondhand smoke, and exposure to radon, asbestos, or other harsh chemicals. People who have a family history of lung cancer may also be at risk for developing the disease. To find out if you are at risk, take our lung cancer risk assessment.
Did you know that smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer? The good news is that it’s never too late to stop smoking! Covenant Health created a free Stop Smoking Mobile App that lets you create a customized profile and helps you pick a realistic ‘quit date’ based on your current smoking patterns. By identifying your triggers and teaching you healthier habits, it will monitor your progress and help you get healthier one day at a time. Download the app for iPhone®, iPad® or iPod touch® or for Android today.
Talk with your doctor about whether a low-dose CT scan is right for you!