On March 30 Covenant Health joins other healthcare organizations across the country in observing National Doctors’ Day. We’re also celebrating Covenant Health’s 25th anniversary this year, and in this edition of Full Circle, I’d like to recognize the countless physicians who have served our patients and our health system – not only during the past quarter century, but throughout the histories of our member organizations.
Our health system is blessed to have nearly 1,500 affiliated physicians representing a full spectrum of medical specialties. From emergency and inpatient care to outpatient procedures and services, our doctors play a vital role in fulfilling Covenant Health’s mission to improve the quality of life in our communities through better health.
Covenant Health has over 350 employed providers (including physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners) in more than 85 practice locations, hospitals and clinics throughout our region. Our employed physicians represent specialties such as family practice, cardiology and cardiovascular surgery, gastroenterology, infectious disease, internal medicine, neurology and neurosurgery, obstetrics/gynecology, oncology, orthopedic surgery, pulmonology, psychiatry, urology and others. Many of these physicians are part of Covenant Medical Group, our health system’s physician practice organization. In addition, hundreds of physicians who practice in the greater Knoxville area and throughout the East Tennessee region choose to work at Covenant Health hospitals and facilities.
Our physicians’ expertise helps Covenant Health bring advanced care to patients who might not otherwise have access to high quality, specialized medical services. For example:
- Our specialists in neurointerventional radiology, neurology and rehabilitation are the foundation of our stroke hospital network, which provides advanced diagnosis and treatment for people experiencing stroke.
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center has worked with specialized physicians to open East Tennessee’s first Epilepsy Monitoring Unit for the understanding and treatment of epilepsy, and to launch the area’s first robotic-assisted technology for finding and treating lung cancer tumors.
- Surgeons and specialists across our health system have been using robotic-assisted technologies for many years to perform minimally invasive procedures that often result in greater patient comfort and faster recovery times.
- Critical care physicians offer remote monitoring of ICU patients to support the services offered at the bedside and offer an additional layer of care and safety for our patients.
- Fort Sanders Perinatal Center cares for mothers experiencing high-risk pregnancies at multiple locations throughout East Tennessee.
- 24 Covenant Medical Group primary care practices have been nationally recognized as Patient-Centered Medical Homes for coordination of care and improving their patients’ experience.
These are just a few of the ways that our Covenant Health doctors provide outstanding care for our patients. In addition, we have physicians who work in areas such as administration and information technology, bringing their expertise and perspective to leadership roles in health system operations. I also appreciate the physicians who serve on our Board of Directors, various medical committees and other collaborative efforts with administration and member organizations.
Most of all, I am grateful to our physicians for their dedication to our mission and our Pledge of Excellence. To all of our physicians, happy Doctors’ Day! Thank you for all that you do for your patients and Covenant Health.