Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Fort Sanders Regional Receives Advanced Certification as Comprehensive Stroke Center
Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center, a member hospital of Covenant Health, has been recognized by The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association as meeting The Joint Commission’s standards for Disease-Specific Care Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification. The recognition makes the hospital part of an elite group of providers that are focused on complex and highly specialized stroke care.
Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification recognizes hospitals that have state-of-the-art infrastructure, staff and training to receive and treat patients with the most complex strokes.
Fort Sanders Regional underwent a rigorous onsite review in January 2013. Joint Commission experts reviewed Fort Sanders’ compliance with the Comprehensive Stroke Center standards and requirements, including advanced imaging capabilities, round-the-clock availability of specialized treatments, and staff members who are specially trained to care for complex stroke patients.
"By achieving this advanced certification, Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center has thoroughly demonstrated the greatest level of commitment to the care of patients with a complex stroke condition,” said Mark R. Chassin, president of The Joint Commission.
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association also congratulated Fort Sanders Regional, noting that Comprehensive Stroke Centers offer a high level of care for patients with the most severe and challenging types of strokes and cerebrovascular disease.
What Sets Fort Sanders Stroke Services Apart?
- Fort Sanders offers comprehensive clinical & ancillary services for stroke, including a comprehensive neurosciences service line, and neurointerventional radiology
- Area’s only stroke program with Joint Commission and CARF (Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) accreditations
- Area’s sole provider of Gamma-knife services
- Tele-stroke (robotic) services in outlying hospitals
- Spine Center of Excellence
- Comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation facility (Patricia Neal Rehabilitation Center) with multiple CARF accreditations
- Fort Sanders Regional has been a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center since 2007
“Fort Sanders Regional is thoroughly committed to providing our patients with the highest quality stroke care based on current scientific research to ensure continuous improvement,” said Keith Altshuler, the hospital’s president and chief administrative officer. “Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification has given us the opportunity to highlight the exceptional stroke care we provide for our patients, and improved care overall for the benefit of our community.”