Monday, March 18, 2013
Type 2 Diabetes - Are you at risk?
Who is at Greater Risk for Type 2 Diabetes?
- People with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and/or impaired fasting glucose (IFG)
- People over age 45
- People with a family history of diabetes
- People who are overweight
- People who do not exercise regularly
- People with low HDL cholesterol or high triglycerides, high blood pressure
- Certain racial and ethnic groups (e.g., Non-Hispanic Blacks, Hispanic/Latino Americans, Asian Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives)
- Women who had gestational diabetes, or who have had a baby weighing 9 pounds or more at birth
If you are at risk for Diabetes, discuss risk factors with your doctor. If you need a physician, find one at covenanthealth.com or by calling (865) 541-4500.