From the President and CEO
After joining Covenant Health in 1996, Anthony L. “Tony” Spezia was named President and CEO in 2000. He is a Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives, the Healthcare Financial Management Association, and Health Ethics Trust. He serves on hospital association boards and councils, and has chaired the American Hospital Association’s Health Systems Governing Council.
As a not-for-profit health system Covenant Health has responsibilities to the communities we serve:
Above all, we are committed to providing excellent care to every patient, every time. That is the basis for every healthcare encounter at any Covenant Health organization.
- We are committed to the highest standards of quality patient care and operational effectiveness. Covenant Health is ranked among the top 25 health systems in the U.S.* and recognized for overall excellence in medical care, financial stability, information technology, and accessibility of services.
- We are committed to delivering the best healthcare possible at the local level.
- We are committed to reinvesting in our communities, providing programs, services, technologies and facilities that improve local healthcare services and patient care.
- We have invested nearly a billion dollars in our communities since 2000 – a commitment no other healthcare organization in East Tennessee has approached. We have opened new hospitals, expanded services, and brought cutting-edge medical technology to our region, including the area’s first TAVR heart valve procedure and other innovations.
- We are committed to providing services based on community needs, sometimes at financial loss to the health system. An example is Covenant Health’s commitment to offering comprehensive behavioral health services in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
- We are committed to efficient operation through the application of advanced technology and information systems.
- We are committed to meeting the challenges of the healthcare environment through effective strategic planning and wise use of resources.
*IMS “Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks in the U.S.,” 2012
From the Chairman, Covenant Health Board of Directors
Named Chairman of the Covenant Health Board of Directors in 2010, Larry Mauldin is retired Chairman, President and CEO of SunTrust Bank, East Tennessee, and was recently named Director & Chairman to the Board of Directors of First Security Group, Inc. He has chaired two United Way campaigns, and has served on the boards of community foundations, neighborhood improvement groups, Chambers of Commerce, and economic development organizations.
As a locally owned not-for-profit healthcare system, our community connections are critical to Covenant Health – from the administrative level where strategic decisions are made to the care we deliver in hospitals and clinics throughout our region. Local physicians and business leaders serve on Covenant Health’s Board of Directors and community advisory boards. That means local people make decisions about the policies, strategies, and investments that affect services where they live. These community leaders also monitor performance and quality, and we are both accessible and accountable to the communities we represent.
We are also blessed by the energy and commitment of countless local businesses and individuals who work with us on many initiatives. Whether providing professional services for local projects, helping raise community funds
for new facilities, or volunteering in our hospitals and outreach programs, their contributions and enthusiasm are immeasurable.
Covenant Health has a huge impact on the quality of life in our region. More than 10,000 affiliated physicians, healthcare professionals, administrators and support staff and their families live and work in our area. We also engage our communities through activities such as the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon, BUDDY’S Race Against Cancer, health outreach programs, and support of many local businesses and philanthropies.
Our mission statement includes a focus on improving the quality of life in our region. Our community connections are an important aspect of accomplishing Covenant Health’s mission. We are grateful to work alongside community leaders who share our vision for a healthier East Tennessee.